[CT Birds] Not Just Geese and Ducks

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Sun Mar 8 20:44:27 EDT 2015

From Steve Broker (Cheshire):
This morning, the North Haven Adult Education group ("The Birds of Connecticut”) made observations at Sandy Point, West Haven and Long Wharf, New Haven (Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park, Amistad Pier, Maritime Center).  At Sandy Point, we watched a Northern Harrier fly in from the sand bars, land next to, and guard a partially eaten Canada Goose carcass.  Two additional goose carcasses were nearby.  At the Maritime Center/Lenny & Joe’s Fish Tale, we spotted a Red-throated Loon carcass on an ice flow just over the wall.

This thread begun yesterday by Paul Fusco reminds me of the ongoing, multiyear studies of bird carcasses at Great Island, Great Beach Hill, and Jeremy Point, Wellfleet, Cape Cod, MA.  There, the larger concern is the die-off of Common Eiders, but all species found on Cape Cod Bay and Wellfleet Harbor shorelines are documented.  We have a potentially significant study topic in Connecticut for the person who is fortified to collect data on starved, dead birds of the winter of 2014-15 and can at the same time maintain a sense of sound mind and optimism.