[CT Birds] Injured Bluejays - Follow Up

Lisa White madalynwhite at aol.com
Sun Mar 8 23:28:49 EDT 2015

Some unusual things have followed. Later this afternoon I noticed two more bluejays that appeared in trouble. These additional two bluejays both had trouble flying more than a few feet, appeared uncoordinated (kept dropping their food) and were very hungry. Both were actively trying to eat on and around the feeders. The bluejay I found earlier had some similar signs but appeared worse off. I managed to grab one of the two additional bluejays and also dropped him off with the rehabber. The other bluejay was a bit more wily and managed to hop/flutter away whenever I tried to get him (something I took as a sign that he should be left alone for now).  The rehabber is not sure what the problem is with either of the two bluejays I dropped off but is looking after them and I will check in with her in a couple days. Any thoughts? I sincerely hope it's not some problem with the seed I have out (there is a lot on the ground that has been buried and then dug up again by birds and animals after various snowfalls) - no other birds are having any issues.

Lisa White

Sent from my iPhone