[CT Birds] Tufted Duck - Yes

Jan Collins jgcollins at cox.net
Tue Mar 3 17:19:45 EST 2015

3/3/15  From Jan Collins and Patrice Favreau at 12:30 PM St. Mary's by the
Sea, Bridgeport, female TUFTED DUCK.
We started at Captain's Cove and while a nice variety of waterfowl, only 1
Scaup!  We could see 100's more scaup to the west, way out in the Sound past
the mouth of the Cove, so headed over that way and discovered several
hundred Scaup in close by the seawall at St Mary's by the Sea.  An amazingly
brief scan discovered the sleeping female with her telltale tufts.  Also
present with several other duck species were 7 REDHEADS and 2 LONG-TAILED
A quick stop at Milford Coastal Center produced a large flock of LONG-TAILED
ducks and another huge raft of Scaup on the Sound side and a nice variety of
the usual ducks in the river from the Center side as well as a GREAT

Jan in Somers