[CT Birds] Winter birds

Jane Olsen olsenj at stlukesct.org
Thu Mar 5 10:53:04 EST 2015

At my feeders in Ridgefield I have had juncos, titmice, chickadees,
downies, cardinals, and house finches daily all winter.  A couple of
starlings come and go, and I occasionally see a hairy woodpecker and a
couple of local redbellies.  But what really interests me is the variation
that comes with temperature and conditions.  When it snows (like today), I
have bluebirds.  They are never there unless it is snowing.  Today there is
one pair; earlier this week there were two pairs.  And yesterday, when the
temperature rose to 40 degrees, my pine siskins disappeared and we were
overwhelmed by gold finches and I saw the first mourning doves I had seen
in weeks.  This morning (23 degrees), the pine siskins are back (maybe
30-40 of them), and I haven not seen a gold finch yet today.  They seem to
be so temperature sensitive, and it also makes me wonder where they are
when they aren't coming to the feeders.  Birds are so interesting!

Jane Nicklin Olsen
Fifth Grade Department Chair
St. Luke's School
New Canaan, CT 06840
email: olsenj at stlukesct.org
phone: +1 (203) 801-4905

*This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and any attachments and destroy any
copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than
the intended recipient is unauthorized.*

*Please consider the environment before printing this email. *