[CT Birds] Hungry Cooper's observation

MKCommunications at comcast.net MKCommunications at comcast.net
Thu Mar 5 14:00:55 EST 2015

Just witnessed an incredibly hungry Cooper's Hawk fling itself while flying at force into a large tangle of bittersweet and wild rose stems, the go-to place where all my feeder birds scurry to avoid being picked off. Usually the Cooper's just waits on a tree branch for an unsuspecting victim. I can only assume how desperate it is to risk so much injury flying at that force into and eventually through 6-8 feet thick of tangle. I had 20 blue jays screaming. What a winter.