[CT Birds] Injured Bluejay

sffaulkner at comcast.net sffaulkner at comcast.net
Mon Mar 9 20:44:30 EDT 2015

A number of years ago I served some of my very expensive, fancy birdseed with peanuts to my classroom hamsters.  One died immediately, and two others had longer-lasting neurological symptoms before perishing days later.  I had the seed tested by the company and they came up with nothing (no big surprise) but my cursory research indicated it might be aflatoxin, caused by fungus on peanuts.  My suspicion is the same for the birds.  After the hamster incident, I stayed away from peanuts for the birds for years -- you can’t see what happens to them in the wild, usually.  Then I drifted back to providing peanuts again because so many birds like them.  I’ve been feeding them this winter…  I think I’ll stop again for good.  The fungus grows in damp weather and may well be “blooming” as the warmer end of winter approaches.

Sarah Faulkner

Collinsville

Sent from Windows Mail