[CT Birds] Find Banded Piping Plovers

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Wed Mar 11 23:01:59 EDT 2015

While you are on the beaches this spring and summer please be on the
lookout for Piping Plovers bearing bands and flags. Migratory periods in
March-April and late summer have the most potential for marked birds to
be found Connecticut. Information for reporting each flag color is
provided below. Please cc both Laura.Saucier at ct.gov and
ctwaterbirds at gmail.com with any reports, and feel free to email us with
any questions.

Please include the following information with each report:

     Flag and band colors, location on each leg, and any alphanumeric
codes on the flags.
     Location of sighting
     Date of sighting
     Any photo that shows the bands and/or flag

Coded black, gray, or white flags on the upper leg: These are coded
flags with two alphnumeric characters. Please send reports to
Cheri.Gratto-Trevor at ec.gc.ca.

Green flags (coded and uncoded) on the upper leg: Please send reports to
vt.plover at gmail.com. Some of the green flags are coded with three
alphanumeric characters, but other pipers carry an uncoded (plain) green
flag along with lower leg bands.

Pink coded flags on the upper leg with two alphanumeric characters:
Please report to vt.plover at gmail.com and cc wgolder at audubon.org.

Orange flags (uncoded) and bands: Please report to plover at umn.edu.

Color bands on only the upper legs and no flag: Some of these have one
band on each upper leg, some have two bands per upper leg. Please report
to michelle.stantial at gmail.com and cc vt.plover at gmail.com.

You can find photos of example birds in our blog:
http://ctwaterbirds.blogspot.com/2015/03/find-banded-piping-plovers.html

Thank you for your help! We hope to find some of these birds here in
Connecticut, and please remember that the more information and reports
these projects receive the more can be understood about the biology of
this threatened species.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator