[CT Birds] Please Speak Out Against Give Away of State Lands - Silver Sands and Centennial Forest at risk!

Breslin, Sandy sbreslin at audubon.org
Sat Mar 14 09:17:20 EDT 2015

Dear CT Birders,

The annual giveaway of state lands called the Conveyance Act (House Bill 6998<http://www.cga.ct.gov/2015/TOB/h/pdf/2015HB-06998-R00-HB.pdf>) has begun in Hartford. Once again, lawmakers are proposing to transfer portions of our State Parks and Wildlife Management Areas to municipal and private uses.  The process will kick off with a public hearing before the Government Administration and Elections Committee (GAE) this Monday (3/16) starting at 1 PM.

WE NEED YOUR HELP OPPOSING THE BAD PROVISIONS OF THIS BILL!

Since the Haddam Land Swap in , Audubon Connecticut has been working with partners at the CT Land Conservation Council, CT Forest and Park Association, Rivers Alliance, Sierra Club and The Nature Conservancy to strengthen protections for state conservation lands. We've made progress with successful passage of Public Acts 12-152<http://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/ACT/Pa/pdf/2012PA-00152-R00SB-00347-PA.pdf> in 2012 and 14-169<http://www.cga.ct.gov/2014/ACT/pa/pdf/2014PA-00169-R00SB-00070-PA.pdf> last year, but this year with the state  facing deep budget cuts, lawmakers are proposing some shocking transfers of state conservation land including portions of Silver Sands State Park, Centennial Forest and two parcels affected by mining!

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO SEND A BRIEF MESSAGE TO MEMBERS OF THE GAE COMMITTEE OPPOSING THIS BILL!

Here is some information for your reference:

Alert sent by CT Forest and Park Association:
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=cfd5efff-399b-4e87-8cbd-e1eb89201505&c=84a974c0-33fc-11e3-9f13-d4ae52754b78&ch=85afc130-33fc-11e3-a0a0-d4ae52754b78

Alert sent by Rivers Alliance with more detail on all sections of the bill:
http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=820426c5ff0b6a2ae445c28ee&id=1487e96a93&e=fc52d1efae

I am traveling this weekend with limited access to email, but will send an alert on Monday with a link that will allow you to email directly to your local lawmakers - they also need to hear from you on this issue. In the meantime, please submit a brief statement the GAE Committee on or before Monday (3/16) OPPOSING all transfers of state conservation land without appropriate review of their ecological value and alternatives, but especially the proposals for Silver Sands (Section 3), the Centennial Watershed Forest (Section 8), and mining in Killingly/Plainfield and Canterbury/Brooklyn (Sections 15, 16).  The address is: GAEtestimony at cga.ct.gov<mailto:GAEtestimony at cga.ct.gov>

Let me know if you have questions, need more information, want to come to the hearing on Monday -just plan to spend the afternoon and I'll help you sign up.  It would be great to have a crowd of birders train their binoculars and scopes on this process!

Thank you,

-          Sandy

Sandy Breslin
Director of Governmental Affairs
Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 804-0488 Cell (Best!)
(203) 264-5098 x306
(203) 264-6332 Fax
www.audubonct.org<http://www.audubonct.org>

Audubon Connecticut, the state office of the National Audubon Society with more than 10,000 members statewide, works to protect birds, other wildlife and their habitats using science, conservation, education and advocacy for the benefit of people and the earth's biological diversity. Through our network of nature centers, protected wildlife sanctuaries and local volunteer Chapters, we seek to connect people to nature and inspire the next generation of conservationists.