[CT Birds] Golden Eagle etc

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 16:53:10 EDT 2015

>From Greg Hanisek, Bill Banks

3/9 Stratford, Bond's Dock - Imm. GOLDEN EAGLE. The bird was seen flying at a low angle above the horizon (looking away from the Housatonic River). Through binoculars it appeared to have minimal white markings at the base of the primaries, indicating an imm. After getting it in the scope, a fairly brief look still at a low angle before it moved out of sight showed little or no white on the bird, so we posted it as a likely adult. However, it turned out that Frank Mantlik was about a quarter-mile away, saw the post, started looking and found the bird. He saw it soaring at a higher angle, and in addition to minimal white in the wings also saw white in the tail. Since this surely was the same bird, it should go as an imm. Our angle of viewing prevented us from seeing some marks Frank was able to see. Golden Eagle features included small head and bill relative to Bald Eagle (c. 6 were in the area), dyhedral, lack of blotchy white areas typical of imm. Bald.

Milford, Mondo Ponds - Wood Duck, Redhead, Gray Catbird