[CT Birds] Essex Land Trust Osprey Program

Jim Denham jgdenham at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 12:12:33 EDT 2015

Passing this along as general interest to the Connecticut birding community.

*Event: Osprey Nation: a talk on the resurgence of Osprey in our region*

*Date, Time and Venue: Wednesday, March 18 – 7 PM Essex Town Hall, 29 West

The Essex Land Trust is pleased to announce a unique opportunity to learn
about the resurgence of Osprey in our region. After a DDT-fueled decline in
the 1970’s to only a few pairs in CT, this majestic bird has bounced back
and is now thriving in our midst.  New research, including state of the art
satellite tracking and other technology will reveal new secrets of this
bird’s habits, prey, and migration while outlining the future of this
iconic species. This event will be a joint presentation by two highly
regarded experts in the field of ornithology and is a must see event for
those interested in the Connecticut River Osprey population.

Dr. Rob Bierregaard, ornithologist, conservation biologist and research
associate at the Academy of Natural Sciences at Drexel Univ., will present
results of his research on Osprey population dynamics in southeastern New
England and the migration of Ospreys in eastern North America. He is a
Fellow of the American Ornithologists Union and was recently elected to the
Board of Directors of the Raptor Research Foundation.

Milan Bull is Senior Director of Science and Conservation for the
Connecticut Audubon Society. Miley will be talking about the Connecticut
Audubon Society’s Osprey Nation initiative, an effort to monitor the
recovery of Osprey in Connecticut. Miley oversees all of the organization’s
conservation work, including public advocacy in Hartford and is a founding
director of the Connecticut Ornithological Association.

Jim Denham
Email: jgdenham at gmail.com
Mobile #: 860-876-0306