[CT Birds] Had a little talk with a Fish Crow today - and a coincidence.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 18:48:36 EDT 2015

I stopped at the Birdseye Boat Ramp today, and there was a Fish  Crow
standing on the railing of the fishing pier ramp in the parking lot. He was  only
10 feet from me and uttered a few miscellaneous noises. On impulse I looked
 at him and said
"uh uh" with a nasal voice. he immediately responded in kind  several
times, and would, every time I spoke to him again. But once, I changed  to "uh
huh" and he answered back in a different voice, although not mimicking  me. We
went back and forth for five minutes or so and he started to babble a
steady stream with me. If he stopped for a moment I only had to make one sound
and he'd start in again. Most of the time he was looking right at me, but
sometimes he would go through a little routine of bobbing up and down. He
only  left his perch when another crow dive-bombed him, for reasons unknown.
Perhaps  he didn't want the kid associating with riff-raff.
I know that people feed the gulls and geese there, so perhaps  he was
trying to get a hand-out, but anyway it was a fun experience.
When I got home I found this link in a post on a Michigan bird  list:
Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct
mntncougar at aol.com