[CT Birds] Stratford / Milford Highlights

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 15 20:19:12 EDT 2015

From Dan Rottino & Family:
This afternoon we birded the area and found all three scoter species at Stratford Pt by the lighthouse at 3:50pm with 8 Black Scoters as the highlight.  The Snowy Owl was roosting in the marsh as viewed from the Sikorsky airport (thanks to Mike Warner) at 4:45pm.  We had 11 Boat-tailed grackles at Long Beach at 4:55pm, a portion of the flock numbering at least 23 individuals that I had discovered on Friday.  The BT Grackles were found directly behind the parking area at the end of the lot feeding on the ground.  They were thus found by walking around the shrubs at the start of the dunes and scanning the marsh to the right.  They were only a few hundred feet away.  At the endangered Silver Sands SP we had an American Woodcock at 5:15pm near the Brown Thrasher spot on the left coming down the hill on the entrance rd, but no thrashers.  Mondo Ponds had many waterfowl at 6:00pm with the best being male Redhead and a Pied-Billed Grebe.  Not bad for a cool breezy afternoon.

Bird Forever Work Whenever
Dan Rottino
East Haddam, CT