[CT Birds] Blackbirds

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Mar 19 10:12:45 EDT 2015

Woke up this morning to faint bird sounds I didn't recognize as  the normal
morning chorus in my yard. But when I got to the kitchen it was much  loude
r and I knew; Blackbirds! Of course I have them every spring, but today is
definitely a record. Well over 100 Red-wings and I'm guessing a dozen C
Grackles, although it's hard to tell because they split up in my different
feeding areas. (I've had much larger flocks of Grackles, but generally they
just  pass through).
I suspect there are so many here because in this area the  ground is still
100% snow covered and the lakes, ponds and marshes are frozen  solid. Even
the small Rivers and streams have been pretty much ice covered. It's  nice to
see them as signs of spring, but I hope they don't overstay their  welcome.

Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct
mntncougar at aol.com