[CT Birds] Hamden, North Lake: round up

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Fri Mar 20 22:29:03 EDT 2015

I just filled out ebird reports for about the past week, for our feeders out back, North Lake Dr., Hamden.

Pine Siskins:  most every day, up to 6 & 7, but 3 today.

Fox Sparrows:  1 on 14th, 15th, 19th, and ... 9! today.  They were around, more or less, most all the day.  Our snow has several divots where they worked out.

Rusty:  1 on 13th, 1 on 18th, & not the birds who had been resident.

Brown Creeper on 13th.

The over-wintering & slightly injured Chipping Sparrow, 3/12, 14, 20.  Keep at it, little buddy!

Hairy Woodpeckers, M & F, regular.

Friday, 13th, FOS big black bird day, with dozens of Grackles & many RWBB & some Cowbirds.  Similar flocks in & out since.

And usual suspects, including Song Sparrow.

As for Lake Whitney, the upper lake remains largely frozen, with a bit of area where the current runs.  Today I saw Mallards, Hooded Mergansers, & Ring-necked Ducks.