[CT Birds] Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz: Get Ready Connecticut!

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Tue Mar 17 10:11:28 EDT 2015

The Rusties are coming! Rusty Blackbirds are moving northward from their
southeastern U.S. wintering grounds, and they are headed towards
Connecticut, so get ready to go out and start searching! The Rusty
Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz officially opens in Connecticut now,
and we encourage all birders to participate. Many of you have already
done so, and some Rusty Blackbirds have been here despite the
historically cold conditions. For others who may enjoy more spring
birding soon helping out is easy - bird as you normally do and search
especially carefully for Rusty Blackbirds, and report your results to
eBird under the “Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz” survey type.
Or, visit one of our Rusty Blackbird Areas of Interest (visit our
interactive map at
to help us assess consistency of migratory timing and habitat use during
spring migration.

For more information on Blitz objectives, along with Rusty Blackbird
identification tips, data collection instructions, and data reporting
information, you can find additional resources at
http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/. We hope you’ll “get
Rusty” with us to help conserve this elusive and vulnerable songbird!

Please keep the observations coming as often as possible. I cannot
underscore how important it is we get as many Rusty Blackbird checklists
submitted under the “Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz” survey type
into eBird to help save this species. This is active conservation, live
from your backyard or favorite patch, for a bird that needs it as much
as any in North America. All we need are some of your sightings and your
time. Thank you!

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
311 Curtis Street