[CT Birds] Black Vultures

Ralph Amodei ramodei at att.net
Sat Mar 21 14:13:20 EDT 2015

  I-91 North bound entrance on Middletown Ave which is Route 17 bythe I-91 Dinner. As I was accelerating onto 91 in a small tree on sideof entrance @ 7 Black Vultures were sitting in a tree. This area is verycommon with both Black and Turkey Vulture. There is a roost behindthe Mini Cinema in this area on Route 17. During peak hot summer daysI have seen dozens of both vulture soaring the Route 80 area as well.These vultures commonly fly all around this area. I-91, over the Quinnipiac Marshand the now defunct New Haven Land fill. Also the birds are common duringany travel north or south on I-91. Some of the birds had their wings extendedperhaps in a mating display or just drying them from the heavy wet snow wehad this am.   Ralph Amodei, East Haven, CT