[CT Birds] Emergency food supply

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 07:39:00 EDT 2015

Last week a couple of Robins arrived in my yard, and I  despaired for them
as to what they would eat. Aside from the ground being frozen  it is still
buried in a foot or more of icy snow.  But a couple of   days ago I noticed
them in the brushy lot next to my house, apparently foraging  in the  snow.
When I watched closely I realized what they were after.
A few weeks ago I had some apples that had gone bad,  and I tossed them out
into the (then) 3 feet of snow in that lot. Of course they  disappeared
into it. But now they have melted out, and the Robins are gorging  themselves
on them. they eat them right down to the cores. There are at least 6  now,
sharing in the feast.
I put out some cut up  apples this morning and I'm hoping  the 13 degree
temperature will freeze them so that they will quickly soften when  thawed
again. Time will tell, but the Robins aren't going to find any worms here  for
a while, and maybe it will help.

Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct
mntncougar at aol.com