[CT Birds] Milford-West Haven coast

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 11:37:58 EDT 2015

I took a quick run from Charles Island (Milford) to Sandy Point (West
Haven) mid-morning today to check for plankton-feeding gulls. There
was almost no sign of any plankton-feeding birds along that stretch of
coast today, and gull and waterfowl numbers were very low overall. No
Bonaparte's Gulls to be found, which is interesting to note, as we
should be in the peak for this species' spring staging period in Long
Island Sound.

The Oyster River mouth, on the Milford/West Haven line, used to be,
along with South Cove in Old Saybrook, the prime spot for spring
Bonaparte's Gull flocks numbering in the hundreds to even thousands.
Over the past handful of years Southport Beach in Fairfield has become
the hotspot for this species and associated rarities (Black-headed and
Little Gulls), though in far lower numbers than we used to see.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com