[CT Birds] 3/25 - Old Saybrook to Guilford (waterfowl, gulls, plankton)

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 18:05:36 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I birded parts of the coast between Old Saybrook and Guilford today.
On the way to the water this morning I stumbled upon a flock of geese
in Northford that held an adult GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE. Of note,
there was significant plankton feeding by gulls and waterfowl between
East Wharf in Madison and Sachem Head in Guilford. Several thousand
birds were involved, with the heaviest concentration in the Circle
Beach area. My final stop was the Shell Beach marsh in Guilford.

Highlights:
Northford, Route 22 in field opposite Old Forest Rd -- adult GREATER
WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE
Old Saybrook, Cornfield Pt -- RED-NECKED GREBE, 8 PURPLE SANDPIPER
Old Saybrook, Dock N Dine -- RED-NECKED GREBE
Madison, East Wharf -- drake BARROW'S GOLDENEYE continues, 60 Bonaparte's Gulls
Madison, Tuxis Island -- first cycle LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL
Madison, Circle Beach -- adult ICELAND GULL (not the usual wintering
individual; a darker-winged bird)
Guilford, Chaffinch Island Park -- 2 NORTHERN PINTAIL, adult ICELAND GULL
Guilford, Shell Beach -- "EURASIAN" GREEN-WINGED TEAL

Photos of the Common Teal here:
http://www.shorebirder.com/2015/03/common-teal-barrows-goldeneye-and-more.html

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT