[CT Birds] Short-eared Owls, Groton, CT

Timothy L Thompson twodogs77 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 27 19:50:10 EDT 2015

6:05pm til 7:15pm-Groton-Bluff Point-Bushy Point Beach & Poquonnock Cove - viewed from Jupiter Point Road-Two adult male SHORT-EARED OWLS coursing along eastern edge of Groton Airport along Poquonnock cove and interior dunes of Bushy Point Beach. Great looks as they coursed on and off for almost an hour.  I was very fortunate to witness a strike (with success) of a medium sized, but long rodent. At one point, the Owls flared at each other with no contact.  Other highlights included two PIPING PLOVER, RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS, BUFFLEHEADS, HAIRY WOODPECKER and the usual gull species.  Most wildfowl were paired.  What made this Friday afternoon happy hour so special was the golden setting sun painting gorgeous pastel lighting on the dunes, the fauna and water surfaces. My aperitif was the rich blue color cast on Fishers Island. The last time I witnessed these fabulous colors was last October in this very same spot.  Come on spring!

Timothy L. Thompson
Norwich, CT

Sent from my iPhone