[CT Birds] woodcocks

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 10:13:26 EDT 2015

To add to Greg's comments on woodcocks, they really can be anywhere this time of year.  My neighborhood is on a hill, dry, and with no woodcock habitat, though there are some small open areas and woods bordering typical suburban yards.  Despite this, woodcocks display annually in my neighborhood.  One was doing just that last night down the street.  I have also seen one flying down the highway, barely above truck height, like it was following a GPS.
If you happen to be out at dusk looking and listening for woodcocks in your yard or elsewhere, be aware that that woodcock you see flying by could be a saw-whet owl.  They look very similar in flight and migrate at about the same times of year.  At Norman Smith's excellent presentation at the COA annual meeting last week, he specifically mentioned how common saw-whets are in migration, and, like woodcocks, are found in atypical habitat at these times.  Come to think of it, most bird species can be found in strange places during migration.  My favorite was the Virginia Rail in a convenience store in Boston a number of years ago.
Glenn WilliamsMystic