[CT Birds] Tufted Duck Old Saybrook

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 29 20:54:23 EDT 2015

As Tina Green noted in a post from the field this morning, we found a female TUFTED DUCK while birding with my adult ed bird-watching class at North Cove in Old Saybrook. It was with a mixed flock of scaup, Buffleheads, a Canvasback and a few Red-breasted Merganser. It had a fairly modest tuft that at times was hard to see when it was actively diving, but at other times it was quite apparent. Aside from the tuft other features included essentially all brown plumage above the waterline. There was no obvious white around the base of the bill (although closer views might show a little) and an all dark bill. There was also a heavily molting Horned Grebe there with the potential to prompt an Eared Grebe report.
We birded from Eagle Landing State Park in Haddam/E Haddam down to Great I. in Old Lyme with a number of expected migrants and numerous Bald Eagles. The other noteworthy bird was light morph ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK at Great Island. Total of 61 species.
Greg Hanisek