[CT Birds] Stratford Short-eared Owl and Snow Buntings, plus vote for the Conte!

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Mar 23 15:37:29 EDT 2015

A couple of hours ago I noticed some crows flying over the Sound from Stratford Point.  I put up my bins and noticed that they were chasing a Short-eared Owl coming in from the water.  The owl reversed direction and flew back out over the water when the crows intercepted.   Earlier there were 10 Snow Buntings at the Point.   No Canvasbacks at all at Frash Pond this morning.

Please don't forget to keep on voting for the Conte Refuge.  Pasted below is a message from Conte Project Leader Andrew French:
"After a steady rise to 7th place, the Conte Refuge as a watershed project dropped over the weekend to 8th place. Please consider visiting the following site and cast your vote for our watershed on a daily basis. You can vote once a day from each of your internet connected devices through March 30th. Please consider distributing this message and/or link to friends, family, and other contact lists.

A vote for the Silvio O. Conte Refuge is more than a vote for a Refuge, it is also a vote for an integrated approach to conserving a vibrant and sustainable working landscape that is based on partnerships. The Silvio O. Conte Refuge is a part of this monumental watershed based partnership; it is this approach and related outcomes that are monumental.

The Connecticut River watershed is truly nationally significant and a reason why Congress authorized this Refuge. However, it the many decades of collaboration and shared accomplishments federal and state agencies, municipalities, organizations, and landowners that makes this Watershed such a special destination to recreate, relax, and reflect within the the 1.8 million acres that have been invested for wildlife and people. "

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road