[CT Birds] Niantic Osprey

Emmayct at cs.com Emmayct at cs.com
Mon Mar 23 19:50:51 EDT 2015

Such a beautiful day today, despite the cold wind, so I took a long walk
from Downtown Niantic, through Crescent Beach to the Yacht Club.

St Agnes Church
flock of 50 Cedar Waxwings eating Juniper berries at ground level, they are
so beautiful with their little bandit faces.

Niantic Bay Yacht Club
10 loons
15 Goldeneyes
6 Red-breasted Mergansers
Assorted gulls
All were in groups in one area, waiting for something, I thought maybe some
baitfish but none were feeding, just waiting.

Then the highlight, one gorgeous long-missed Osprey.

Within 3 minutes a juvy Bald Eagle came over, riding on high, effortless
thermals. He came back and hung over my head a-way up there then looped off.
Was enough to spook the Mallards into the swamp channels.

Great day.

Maryann in Niantic