[CT Birds] Boston Hollow is waking up

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Mar 26 10:19:34 EDT 2015

Not a lot of birds in the Yale Forest in Ashford yet, but more  than a few
weeks ago. In addition to 2 resident Common Ravens I had a  Broad-winged
Hawk eyeing the feeders at the lone house on Barlow Mill Rd.   Quite a few of
the normal feeder birds there, but I heard something I didn't  recognize at
first, a loudly trilled song, dying off at the end. Finally dawned  on me it
was the Juncos, at least 3 or 4 of them singing their song. I have lots  of
them in my yard still, and in bad weather they chatter at each other
constantly, but this is quite different, a real song. I've heard it before, but
I heard one bird which i couldn't find, but I'm sure it was  a Catbird,
loud and close, calling repeatedly.
Many scattered Titmouse-Chickadee flocks, which I saw none of  last time,
and Bluejays here and there. Haven't found any Red-breasted  Nuthatches yet,
which I usually see/hear in the spring.
This morning I had a flying insect of some kind land briefly on  my
bathroom window. With insects hatching there will be much more food available  for
our birds!
Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct
mntncougar at aol.com