[CT Birds] Wallingford birds (Lapland Longspurs, geese)

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 18:25:12 EDT 2015

Around midday today the field along Cooke Rd that lies closest to
Whirlwind Hill Road (Wallingford) held quite a few birds. Among 210
Canada Geese was a hybrid Canada x "domestic" goose. It is obvious by
its mostly white head and mostly pinkish bill. This bird has been
around for the past few winters, and reported by others, but I had not
gotten a really good look at it until today. I comfortable ruling out
Snow Goose as one of the parents, mainly due to the bird's very large
size, rather orange legs, and lack of a "grin patch" on the bill.

Also in this flock were two curiously small Canada-like Geese,
approaching Cackling Goose in size. However, their bills seemed a bit
long to me to call them Cackling Geese. I will post photos of these
birds sometime soon to www.shorebirder.com and welcome comments.

Hiding very well in the middle of the field was a flock of 50 Horned
Larks that contained at least two LAPLAND LONGSPURS, one of which was
coming into really nice breeding colors.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT