[CT Birds] Stamford- Probable THAYER'S GULL

Stefan Martin nafets519 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 23:33:01 EDT 2015

3:30-Stamford Ave, Stamford
While observing the bloom feeding Gulls offshore I noticed a suspect Kumlien's/Thayer's type mixed in amongst the bunch. The birds plumage was a good split between the two with noticeably darker primaries than what I'm used to seeing for Kumlien's. The primaries were a very dark coffee brown with frosted tips, forcing me to take some pictures of the bird. Not having any field experience with Thayer's, I wanted to get some more opinions before posting anything. Now after reviewing this bird and getting some pretty solid feedback I'm comfortable calling this bird a Thayer's Gull or at the least, a very probable candidate. The birds plumage and shape all fit very nicely for Kumlien's/Thayer's with primary color being on the extreme side for Kumlien's. Flight shots of the bird (although distant) appear to be more Herring Gull than Kumlien's aiding in favor of Thayer's Gull. If anybody is interested in viewing these photos feel free to contact me directly. I'll be out again tomorrow trying to relocate the bird and will post details immediately if re-found.

Stefan Martin
Nafets519 at gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone