[CT Birds] Hovering buteos question

Tim Antanaitis timant123 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 23:48:55 EDT 2015

I saw a large hovering buteo today (3/28/15) across the river at the end of Willard's Island at Hammonasset Beach State Park in Madison, CT.  I had it in my scope for 2 minutes (without moving the scope), but it was very windy and the scope was shaking, so I never got any details on the bird.  The hawk went through this hovering cycle twice in under 10 minutes.  My first thought was Rough-legged Hawk, but I think I've heard that Red-tailed Hawks do this too.  Any thoughts?
Tim AntanaitisMiddletown, CT