[CT Birds] Male blue bird

Kevin Doyle kevindoyle01 at charter.net
Mon Mar 30 19:24:55 EDT 2015

Today while checking on a blue bird box I was surprised when I opened the door to find a male blue bird who didn't make it. It appeared to be in perfect color feather wise very deep blue and no signs of injury. Despite the cold the little fella wasn't frozen. My theory it hadn't been in there very long and possibly used it for shelter and couldn't make it out. Also could it have been killed by another blue bird? There was no indication that the box was being setup for a new nest since it was clean. My other 2 boxes have new nests in the process now. I have had a resident pair most of the winter could they be building one nest for real and the other a decoy to keep competition out of their territory?

If any birder or vet might like to examine the little fella I have him buried in a zip lock baggie.

Kevindoyle01 at charter.net
Sent from Blue Mail