[CT Birds] Westport-First Year Female OREGON JUNCO

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 30 23:18:31 EDT 2015

Jory or Mark,Can the photos be seen anywhere?
Frank MantlikStratford

     On Monday, March 30, 2015 11:04 PM, Mark Szantyr via CTBirds <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org> wrote:

 Jory did a great job with this bird. First year female oregon juncos can be quite difficult and this bird is not the most distinctive of the bunch. It does show a complete hood, clear pinkish flanks and a rich brown back.

Many of these characters can be shared by young female Slate-colored Juncos. I have seen many that were nearly identical to jory's bird. It is a complete set of characters that makes this ID possible.

Jory did a great job studying all the field marks and getting a good selection of photos.

This is not easy.

Mark Szantyr
Storrs