[CT Birds] Orange ospreys & more

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 16:00:58 EDT 2015

​3/31  The pair of ospreys have returned to the Old Tavern Rd Park in
Orange, tending to their nest on top of a light stanchion at the baseball
fields there.  This will be their second year nesting.
In my backyard yesterday morning (3/30), there was a "party" of 12 Blue
jays in the tree having one of my feeders.  All 12 of them were calling,
and bobbing their heads and bodies up and down.
I still have 12 Pine siskins, 10 American goldfinches, sharing my thistle
feeder. The robins love the bird baths.  My pair of Carolina wrens have not
reappeared since Feb. 15, possibly victims of the cold winter and snows.
The number in the flock of blackbirds (Common Grackles, Red winged
blackbirds, starlings and Cowbirds) fluctuates daily, but it's nice to see
them back this spring. And my regular customers.
Bev Propen, Orange