[CT Birds] Horseshoe Pond

Mike Warner mjwarner at optonline.net
Tue Mar 31 18:05:58 EDT 2015

Hi,

     Last year, the Town of Wilton decided to get rid of the Water Lillies
which had grown voluminously in the warm and shallow waters of Horseshoe
Pond.  A company was retained to chemically treat the plants which had
immediate visible results.  Step two of the eradication program was to draw
down the water in the approximately 6 acre pond over the winter to let the
frost get to the roots of the Lillies.  This alone should have worked very
well  !  The visible tree stumps are the remainder of the former swamp
before the dam was built.  I will inquire further, but I expect the spillway
boards to be replaced soon to let the pond fill up again.
     The Great Egret has left, but there are now 8 Great Blue Herons there
as of 5:30 pm.

Mike Warner
Wilton, Ct.