[CT Birds] Birding at Ct Audubon Grasslands Center, Pomfret, Ct

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Mar 31 21:12:25 EDT 2015

Went on the weekly Tuesday Bird walk led by Andy Rzeznikiewicz,  and not a
lot of birds around yet, but some interesting finds. Tree Swallows  have
arrived in force and are circling all the open fields in the area, checking
out nest boxes.
Lots of Red-tails including a pair that have built a nest in a  white pine
just across from the entrance to the Center building. Will be  interesting
to see what happens there. Lots of E.  Bluebirds singing and flitting all
around. A couple of Fox Sparrows responded to  calls near the Center.
At the "duck marsh" On Wrights Crossing Road 2 Wilson's Snipe  Flushed and
then landed again. We were able to find them and everyone had a good  look
at an elusive bird. We had also had flushed a Snipe near the  Center. Several
Red-tails at the marsh too, and a Belted Kingfisher made a  fly-by, calling.
Also, a lot of Turkey Vultures circling, and a flock of 6 Black  Vultures
with a lone TV as well. As we were leaving, Andy spotted a distant Bald
Eagle circling, and it was joined by a small buteo, presumably a Broad-winged
Hawk, although it was too distant and the clouds too dark to see much other
than  the relative sizes and shapes of the two birds.
All in all, a good start to the season, especially after  the brutal
weather.

Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct
mntncougar at aol.com