[CT Birds] Please enter Rusty Blackbirds in eBird!

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Fri Apr 3 09:36:06 EDT 2015

We are in the peak migratory window for Rusty Blackbirds right about
now. PLEASE enter all of your Rusty Blackbird sightings into eBird for
the Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz. We have 103 checklists
entered with Rusty Blackbirds or under the "Rusty Blackbird Protocol" of
birding trips made to search specific locations for Rusty Blackbirds
with none being found. Thanks to all who have helped, but we need more!

Please remember that reporting birds to this list serv, while an
enjoyable social activity within this great community of friends and
brilliant birders, does not mean they are recorded anywhere. As we have
said for years here, this data and information goes into the black hole
of the web. The only way sightings are saved and available to the world
is if you go ahead and eBird them where they will be used for
conservation and science forever. If you need help entering your Rusty
Blackbirds into eBird please let me know.

One problem we have had so far in the Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration
Blitz is the lack of revisits to Areas of Interest from 2014. Some of
these are privates sites and yards, and if you were previously contacted
please do your best to enter Rusty Blackbird counts OR be sure to use
the eBird Rusty Blackbird protocol to show that you looked but could not
find Rusty Blackbirds there. If you visit any of these eBird hotspots:

White Memorial Foundation--Little Pond
White Memorial Foundation--Main Area
East Hartford Levy and Railroad Bridge
Hesseky Meadows
Cromwell Meadows WMA
Edgewood Park

Know they are Areas of Interest to us, and PLEASE enter any Rusty
Blackbirds you find, or if you find none, be sure to use the eBird Rusty
Blackbird protocol to show that you looked but could not find them. I
know checklists have been made at these spots, but if they are not done
under the Rusty Blackbird protocol then they are not counted as a survey
towards trying to find the Rusties there.

Thank you all! Email me with any questions, as always.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
skruitbosch at rtpi.org