[CT Birds] Horned Grebe, C. Loon, &c.: Hamden - Upper Lake Whitney Cycle, Apr 3, 2015

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Fri Apr 3 17:22:05 EDT 2015

My wife tipping me off to an odd-looking grebe, I went over to Waite St. & found the Horned Grebe earlier noted.  Coming W. along Waite from Whitney Ave., just as the causeway begins, in that bay on the N. or right side of Waite.  (Probably the same bird I saw a few days ago, much further out;  eBird edited.)

Other notable birds upstream of Waite:  Buffleheads;  Ruddy Duck pair;  Tree Swallows (& maybe No. Rough-winged);  FOS Cormorants;  and a couple of Bald Eagles (to the delight of some passersby), presumably State Streeters.  Also seen 3 Mockingbirds, perhaps two to nest?

Strolling home, noticed a grey bird just above the Whitney Ave. bridge:  oh!  Common Loon!  I've seen one other on Lake Whitney;  if memory serves, a couple of others have been spotted over the years.

Link to Horned Grebe, C. Loon, & Bufflehead photos (digiscoping);  this should work for all (if not, drop me a line please).
	https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153222986409042.1073741872.525184041&type=1&l=21ffd2d8be

(Hi, Amanda!)

At home today featured one each of:  Red-breasted Nuthatch;  Fox Sparrow;  Pine Siskin;  & Pine Warbler (for a different eBird)

Begin forwarded message: