[CT Birds] Boston Hollow, Yale Forest, Ashford

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Apr 5 20:26:37 EDT 2015

Took a ride to Boston Hollow early this morning, hoping to hear  the early
birds, because a couple of previous trips have been pretty quiet. I  did
hear a lot more, and found a few interesting newcomers.
A red race Fox Sparrow, first ever FOSP in Boston Hollow,  was most
notable. As well, a FOS Hermit Thrush.
 Also, a Carolina Wren, first of the year there. Still  looking (listening)
for a Winter Wren. I've been concerned for them,  since  the last time we
had such deep snow and lasting cold both species were wiped out  in the area
and it took several years for them to come back.
I saw 2 large raptors, one with prey that looked like a  squirrel. Probably
Red-tails, but I didn't get enough of a look to ID either  one.
In Bigelow Brook, 2 pairs of Mallards. Finally enough ice free  water for
them.
I had a Phoebe there last week but now they are everywhere,  heard or saw
at least 20, probably more.
And on my way out, I had a male Bluebird. Not uncommon but I'll  have to
see if I've had them there before.  EBIRD  below.

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Apr 5, 2015 8:00 AM - 12:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
24 species (+1 other  taxa)