[CT Birds] Beach Pond on Sunday; ,, bald eagle, ospreys, greater black-backed gulls emerge from the forest (Voluntown)

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sun Apr 5 21:34:34 EDT 2015

Late afternoon at Beach Pond today after only ten minutes of walking south from Tenrod Rd. three greater black-backed gulls appeared over the center of the pond at that point, making quite a ruckus so I'd hear them before watching them soar.  Not far behind them an osprey came flying straight up with another calling from the forest.  Beach Pond is remarkable for being the only place I consistently note the gulls flying into the woods, either together or tagging along other birds.

One bald eagle roosted above the water's edge for a short time and oen kingfisher briefly made the rounds of his fishery at 6:30.  35 common mergansers, 3 female hooded mergansers, 4 buffleheads, a double-crested cormorant, and ducks were seen above and beneath the highway.  Three cedar waxwings (first of this season) and other forest birds were observed which was more than I hoped for given the prevailing weather today.
Brian WilliamsGriswold