[CT Birds] Westport-First Year Female OREGON JUNCO

Jory Teltser aliencricket21 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 18:52:14 EDT 2015

3/30/15-Westport-My house
While doing a little yard birding after school, I noticed a odd looking
Junco feeding alone along the side of my driveway.  As soon as I got on it
with my bins, I immediately saw an apparent sooty colored hood, but
abruptly ending around the neck, and contrasting with the rusty colored
upper back and tan around the breast and sides.  I soon came to realize
this was a very good candidate for an Oregon Junco.  After getting great
looks at the bird, I started taking many pictures.  I was lucky enough to
view this bird for 7-8 minutes and get many photos from different angles
before it flew off.  After consulting with Tina Green and Mark Szantyr, we
have come to the conclusion that this is indeed a first year female Oregon
Junco.  I will post if this bird does make another appearance.