[CT Birds] Possibly 2 BLACK-HEADED GULLS

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 11:41:52 EDT 2015

Hi Aidan and Jory,

If the birds are adults, another feature to look for would be the
extend of the hood at this time of year. Black-headed Gulls molt into
breeding plumage earlier than Bonaparte's Gulls on average. At this
date, most BHGU will have full dark hoods, while most BOGU will still
be mostly white-headed. (For example, on Thursday I saw about 150
Bonies in Milford and only one had a mostly dark hood). This is only
an average difference, but can serve as a good clue at this exact time
of year.

Good luck and keep up the good work,

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT