[CT Birds] Wilton/Norwalk warblers, Wood Duck and more

Ian Devlin captain_ian at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 19:22:55 EDT 2015

Started up route 7 to Wilton Meadows fields. Saw a couple thousand Tree Swallows scattered above the Norwalk River in Wilton. Not all at once, but in different flocks all eating insects in the air. Went to the pond behind the baseball fields in Wilton Meadows to find a pair of Wood Ducks. Continued to the public garden on the far west side to look for bluebirds in the field. No dice.

After that, I continued to Wood Pond and 14 Acre Pond on the Wilton/Norwalk border. Wood Pond had 4 Ospreys, 4 Wood Ducks, a couple Gadwall and a couple Mallards. 14 Acre Pond had 1 Great Egret, 1 Osprey, 1 drake Northern Shoveler, a couple mallard and Mute Swan, 5-6 Ruby crowned Kinglets, 5-6 Pine Warblers and 10 or so Yellow rumped Warblers. A muskrat swam through the culvert pipe under the road where I was observing. Really excited to see the warblers and kinglets!

Lastly, I ended up at Calf Pasture Beach to look at the Bald Eagle nest just offshore on Chimon Island. I saw her head as a blip on the nest. You can see the nest with the naked eye, but a scope is best to see any detail. About 300-400 Brant geese were on the ball fields, and a pair of Osprey working on their nest in the ball field lights.

Not bad for about an hour of birding after a long day at the DMV!   :)

Ian Devlin
East Norwalk, CT

Sent from my iPhone