[CT Birds] Southport Little Gulls tip

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Thu Apr 9 08:34:46 EDT 2015

I received a few emails regarding helpful tips for locating a Little
Gull(s) in the flocks of Bonaparte's Gulls in Southport. Assuming they
are still there or if not more may be coming, I would recommend two
things that you might find helpful. I have found that Little Gulls
tend to hang out on the outer edges of the flocks of Bonaparte's
Gulls. Every time I have located Little Gulls in the flocks, I started
searching the outer edges of the flocks both on the edge closest to
you, and the back side. I just about always find Little Gulls both on
shore and  on the water on the edges. This is where I found 4 of the 8
adults yesterday; 2 on the front edge right directly in front of me,
and 2 on the back edge. This was also evident last year when the
Little Gulls were on the sand bar and feeding in the water close to
the rock jetty, they were feeding on the inner edge of the flock. In
fact when we spotted Little Gulls flying, they would land on the water
(most of the time) on either edge of the feeding flock....often on the
upwind edge of the flock.

The second tip I can suggest is when you are scanning the flock of
roosting Gulls. look for predominantly white/pale gray wing tips of
the adults in the group. These white/pale gray primaries stand out in
the group. If you locate a set, look for the black with white tip
underneath the primaries......this really stands out in a crowd.

Good Luck! I hope you find the Little Gulls!

Regards,

Keith