[CT Birds] Southport Little Gulls tip

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 08:50:26 EDT 2015

Some great points by Keith.

Here are two more tips I can pass along. First, when scanning roosting
birds, remember that Little Gulls are, well, little! If the birds are
not roosting on an exposed edge, they can be very difficult to see. On
multiple occasions over the years I have scanned a roosting flock
multiple times without spotting a Little Gull, only to have one
randomly walk right out from behind a Bonaparte's Gull it was
completely hidden by. The key is to be persistent and occasionally
change your angle on the flock, which may reveal a hiding LIGU.

Second, adult Little Gulls are easiest to pick out when the flock is
in flight. This may seem counter-intuitive, as Bonaparte's Gull flocks
are quick and agile, but the key is to look for the very dark gray
underwings of adults. When the flock banks or individuals flap in such
a way that the underwings are exposed, let your eye be drawn to
flashes of blackish. It's amazing how this feature sticks out like a
sore thumb in flight. Keith took a few images yesterday that
illustrate this feature quite well. Here is a link to a bird in flight
from Southport Beach a few years ago that I saw with others:
http://www.shorebirder.com/2012/04/apr-1-little-gull-southport-beach.html

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com