[CT Birds] Spring Manor Farm raptors, 4-11-15 (Mansfield)

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Apr 11 20:32:17 EDT 2015

This afternoon I stopped at the farm  and saw a female  Kestrel again. This
time it was in the area right next to the Kestrel box  northwest of the RR
crossing. Still no sign of a male, however. Took some  terrible pictures,
but there appears to be a silver band on the left leg if  that's significant
to anyone (Tom S?).
Down at the lower level by the wells  I saw a Tree Swallow  circling as I
drove in. A few minutes later I saw a swallow again and assumed it  was that
one or another tree. However, it turned out to be a gorgeous Barn  Swallow.
Probably no surprise with all the abandoned barns at the farm.
When I was about to leave I saw a raptor circling to the north  above the
river. Thought it would be a Red-tail because I saw one there last  week, but
my bins said otherwise, and a couple of pictures confirmed it; an  Osprey
heading north, following the river. Seems to me someone reported an  Osprey
in that area a week or 2 ago. If so it's possible there will be a nest
somewhere near or along the river if there is a pair that gets together.

Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct
mntncougar at aol.com