[CT Birds] Open water on Coventry Lake

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Apr 6 18:14:56 EDT 2015

There is finally some open water on Coventry Lake. A lead,  prehaps 200
yards long and averaging 50 feet wide cutting diagonally across the  northwest
corner of the lake. there are 2 northwestern coves that I can't see  from
where I live that are partially open. They are very shallow and may have  been
open for a day or two. Along the  shoreline an area ranging from 0 to  50
feet wide is open. The rest of the ice sheet is pretty much intact, but it is
 very wet and showing dark spots. If the warmth will stay for a while and
we get  any wind the entire lake will be open very soon.
Some waterfowl already present; 3 Common Mergansers, 6 Black  Ducks, 7
Mallards and 3 Canada Geese. A Merganser pair was mating when I got  there.
I checked the Beaver Dam Marsh at Natchaug SF today, but it is  still
virtually 100% frozen over. In past years when it has been open early a  family
of Tundra Swans has stopped there for a few days, but it looks like  this
won't be the year.
Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct
mntncougar at aol.com