[CT Birds] Interesting visitor

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Apr 10 10:00:24 EDT 2015

Had a visitor in my yard this morning that I've never seen, or  at least
noticed before. I looked out and saw small flock of blackbirds in the  trees
near my yard (all too familiar lately), and I noticed that at least a  couple
of them were Grackles. One finally flew down to a branch over my feeders,
about 50 feet from me, and my first reaction was it looked like a Grackle
but  seemed small. When I got my bins on it I realized the back was very
brown. At  first I hoped, Rusty Blackbird, but it had a very black hood.
After watching it for a minute, then checking my books, I'm  certain it was
a Bronzed Grackle, a subspecies of Common Grackle. Of course, the  second I
raised my camera to the window it flew, as is usually the case. But I
really have little doubt.
How common is this bird around here?
Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct
mntncougar at aol.com