[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, 4-13-15, WINTER WRENS, more!

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Apr 13 20:52:07 EDT 2015

At last! 2 WINTER WRENS singing in usual spots near Boston  Hollow Road.
1st was exactly where one first appears almost every  year. Other BH FOYs:
Barred Owl, Northern Flicker, Wild Turkey, House  Wren.
4 Louisiana Waterthrushes, including 2 having a singing contest  east of
Boston Hollow Road in the swamp across from the beaver pond.
The Eastern Phoebes aren't wasting time; yesterday I saw a pair  scouting
some rocky ledges for a nesting site, and today I watched one gathering  mud
from a ditch along BH Road. In reality, there are hundreds of them. You
can't stop at any point along the road without hearing at least one, usually
several.

Winter Wren pics and song file to follow.

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Apr 13, 2015 8:30 AM - 1:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 mile(s)
32 species (+1 other  taxa)

Mallard  2
Wild Turkey  1     Running  down Boston Hollow Road, 1st one I've seen
there.
Turkey Vulture   9
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1