[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, 4-16-15, FOY E Towhee probable Black Crowned YBSA

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Apr 16 20:20:53 EDT 2015

Surprised to hear a singing Eastern Towhee. Also, Chipping  Sparrow, FOY in
BH.
I believe I saw a "Black Crowned Yellow-bellied Sapsucker"  female. Bird
had obvious white wing stripe and head pattern, but crown  was all black and
no red anywhere on the bird. Had to look it up but it appeared  to be an
exact match for the bird shown in the new Sibley.
Found a new Winter Wren today, in a location where I've never  heard one
before. The song was not exactly like the typical adults and seemed to  vary
with every chorus. I suspect it was a first year returnee looking for a
territory. I've heard birds singing like that late in the summer, apparently
trying to imitate the adults, so perhaps it was one of them.
First singing Hermit Thrush today, earliest I've ever heard  one.

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT  Ashford/Union
Apr 16,  2015 7:50 AM - 1:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
33  species

Wood Duck  4
Turkey Vulture  5
Mourning  Dove  6
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker   11     1 probable "Black Crowned" female, per
Sibley. All black  cap and no trace of red anywhere.
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy  Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  1
Pileated  Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe  30
Blue-headed Vireo   5
Blue Jay  8
Common Raven  1
Tree Swallow   3
Black-capped Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  3
Red-breasted  Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  5
Brown Creeper   1
Winter Wren  3     1 in new location. Song different  from normal and a bit
weaker. Probable first year as adult.
Hermit  Thrush  3     1 singing full song. Earliest date for singing  bird.
American Robin  12
Louisiana Waterthrush  3
Pine  Warbler  20
Eastern Towhee  1     FOY
Chipping  Sparrow  1     FOY in Yale Forest
Song Sparrow   3
Northern Cardinal  4
Red-winged Blackbird  1
Common  Grackle  10