[CT Birds] bobolink project (time running out to help)

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 17 17:01:32 EDT 2015

Hi all, I recently heard from Steve Swallow – the UConn economicsprofessor who runs the Bobolink Project – that they have had an increase in thenumber of farmers who are willing to delay haying to benefit nesting bobolinksthis year. This means that there is potential to increase the area of suitablenesting habitat compared to previous years.  Achieving this goal, however,is contingent on pledges to support payments to farmers.  One of theBobolink Project’s strengths is that it uses economic methods to drive the costof protection down towards the lowest level acceptable to farmers – hence itmaximizes benefits per conservation dollar.  I mentioned this project afew weeks ago, but I’m posting again because the deadline for pledges is only afew days away.  If you are interested, check out Steve’s web site:  http://www.bobolinkproject.com/ There's also a recent newspaper article here:http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/life/green-mountain/2015/04/11/tenacious-bobolink-wins-financial-backers/25532389/
Chris Chris Elphick @ssts
Storrs, CT
elphick at sbcglobal.net