[CT Birds] Boston Hollow, Yale Forest 4-18-15. FOY NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, Yellow Rumps

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Apr 18 14:59:49 EDT 2015

Ashford, and Union.
When I enter the dirt portion of Boston Hollow Road I always  stop and get
out my binoculars, recorder, camera and Songfinder hearing aid.  When I
turned the Songfinder on the first two birds I heard were a Louisiana
Waterthrush 100 yards down the road and a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH practically  singing
in my ear from the swamp to the right. FOY for me. Also, FOY at Boston
Hollow, 3 Yellow-rumped Warblers. I now know that I actually heard one singing
Thursday, but I only heard it once or twice and I wasn't sure. This time
there  was no doubt and I saw 3 together, really good look at one  male.
There's an amazing number of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers in the  area right
now. I saw and/or heard at least 14 today, more than I've ever had  there
before. I don't usually bird the area as frequently in April as I have  this
year, but I don't remember numbers of them this early. Once again I had a
group of 4 in one location and at least 3 in another. Too early for juveniles
so  I wonder if they are family groups from previous years. I am aware that
lots of  YBSA pass through Ct in April while moving north, but just about all
these birds  are in areas where I have regularly had them before, so I'm
hoping they will  stay.
More Blue-headed Vireos, 7 singing today.
I'm hearing lots of  Bh Cowbirds in the woods, and I hope  some of them
move on soon. "Nothing to see or do here".

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Apr 17, 2015 7:40 AM - 11:40  AM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Comments:     FOY  Northern Waterthrush
34 species

Canada Goose  2
Mallard   1
Turkey Vulture  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove   2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker   14
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  (Yellow-shafted)  2
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe   30
Blue-headed Vireo  7
Blue Jay  12
Common Raven   1
Tree Swallow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  20
Tufted  Titmouse  6
Red-breasted Nuthatch  2
White-breasted  Nuthatch  3
Brown Creeper  2
Winter Wren  2
Hermit  Thrush  3     2 singing
American Robin   12
Louisiana Waterthrush  3
Northern Waterthrush  1   FOY, Singing loudly in the swamp east of Boston
Hollow Road, 100  Yards onto the dirt. Louisiana also singing 100 yards down
the road.
Pine  Warbler  20
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  3
Chipping  Sparrow  1