[CT Birds] one-legged turkey

wirthwitte at att.net wirthwitte at att.net
Tue Apr 14 21:29:48 EDT 2015

Yesterday at my feeder, I had a turkey hen with one, or maybe one-and-a-half legs, as the injured leg is cut off below knee joint. It is all healed, so she has been surviving for a while.  She was sort of kneeling to eat, resting her weight on her stump and using her beak to scratch the mulch for seeds from side-to-side. You can see in the pictures that some of her feathers are disarrayed.  Today around 6 pm, she came to feed with another young hen, then they went off together. I wonder how she keeps her balance roosting in the tall trees at night. "Bless her heart" as they say.  -Winie Wirth, Milford
Here is a link to the dropbox file.